Tips for fostering a more positive outlook
As you plan to visit loved ones, it helps to have some genuine inspiration and thoughtful words in mind.
• Simple messages like “I love you.”
• Reminding someone that you think of them often, shows you care and that they are still important to you.
• Starting off. Begin a conversation, visit, or note with the words “I was thinking about you, so I thought I’d drop by” or call and say hi shows you care.
• How are you? This question goes a long way toward finding out if there are any problems or concerns you need to know about.
• Grief talk is okay. Many older adults face loneliness of losing a spouse, friend, or other loved one. Talking can be helpful.
• Be playful. Humour still plays role in many people’s lives.
• Think of ways to lighten things up and tell stories they may find amusing.