Prep Time: 0 hours 20 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 40 mins
For the crust
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
3 tbsp. ice water
For the quiche
8 slices bacon
1 1/2 c. shredded Gruyère, divided
1 shallot, minced
6 large eggs
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of nutmeg
Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Make the crust: In a large bowl whisk together flour and salt until combined. Using your hands, add butter, working it into the flour until the mixture resembles pea-size crumbs. Add ice water by the tablespoon until the mixture forms into a crust. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out crust until ¼” thick. Loosely drape over a 9” pie plate and crimp edges. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
4. Scatter cooked bacon on pie crust with 1 cup Gruyère and shallot. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, cayenne, and nutmeg and season with salt. Pour mixture over bacon and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5. Bake until crust is golden and eggs cooked through, 40 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving.