It took many, many rounds of testing to get these cookies just right. Our biggest piece of advice is to not be afraid of mess. Covering the cream cheese with cookie dough is a messy task (especially with the fresh strawberries!), but we promise you it’s worth it a million times over.
Prep Time: 0 hours 20 mins
Total Time: 0 hours 45 mins
For the cookie dough
3/4 c. chopped strawberries
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the filling
4 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp. powdered sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray.
2. Make cookie dough: In a small bowl, stir strawberries, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar until combined. Let sit 10 minutes, then drain.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, remaining ½ cup sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, then stir in flour mixture until just combined.
4. Using a wooden spoon, very gently fold in strawberries. Set aside.
5. Make filling: Line a large plate or baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon zest until smooth. Scoop into 12 small balls (about 1 ½ teaspoons each) and place on prepared baking sheet.
6. Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop heaping tablespoons of dough (about 24 balls) and flatten into pancake-like circles on the baking sheet. Place cream cheese filling on top of 12 pieces of dough. Place remaining dough on top of filling and pinch edges together. Roll gently into balls.
7. Arrange stuffed cookie dough balls 2″ apart on baking sheets and bake until cookies are set and just golden around edges, about 18 minutes.
Photo: Parker Feierbach